The new RAA2S425x product family integrates multiple analog and digital functions to reduce the design time and cost of xEV/EV/FCEV pressure sensing braking, transmission and HVAC systems.
TOKYO, Japan, September 28, 2021 – Renesas Electronics Group (TSE: 6723), a global supplier of semiconductor solutions, today announced the launch of the RAA2S245x product family of ICs for automotive pressure sensing systems. The new RAA2S245x product family provides high-precision amplification and sensor-specific corrections for automotive xEV/EV/FCEV pressure-sensing braking, transmission, and HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system signals. The RAA2S425x product family has high integration and advanced digital and analog functions, which can significantly shorten the design cycle and reduce customers’ system BOM and production costs.
The RAA2S425x ICs support all mainstream pressure sensing technologies and feature a high-performance analog front end (AFE) for enhanced signal conditioning. This product offers extended analog sensor offset compensation (XSOC) for almost all resistive bridge signal conditioning and is capable of delivering high accuracy (0.35% – 1.0%) over a wide temperature range (-40°C to 150°C) ) pressure and temperature readings.
The RAA2S425x ICs integrate a 16-bit RISC microcontroller that provides digital compensation for signal offset, sensitivity, temperature drift, and nonlinearity. It has highly reliable non-volatile memory (NVM) to store calibration coefficients and configuration data in harsh automotive environments. The RAA2S425x communicates digitally with calibration equipment, reducing noise sensitivity. Digital calibration eliminates the need for adjustments to the sensing element, allowing customers to keep assembly costs low. The RAA2S425x is an ideal solution for safety and automotive-grade harsh applications. It integrates overvoltage and reverse polarity protection circuits, complies with ISO26262 ASIL-B functional safety standards, and has excellent electromagnetic compatibility and a variety of diagnostic functions.
“The RAA2S425x product family demonstrates the unique capabilities that Renesas’ powerful combination of analog and digital technologies can bring to customers in the automotive field,” said ChrisTIan Wolf, vice president of the Automotive Sensors Business Unit at Renesas Electronics. “The new pressure sensing solution enables our customers to leverage A highly accurate and reliable system shortens design cycles while meeting stringent automotive safety requirements.”
Key Features of the RAA2S425x Pressure Sensing Solutions
- High-performance analog front end (AFE) for enhanced signal conditioning
- 0.35%-1.0% high accuracy pressure reading, 13 to 18 bits effective ADC resolution
- -40°C to 150°C wide temperature range; AEC-Q100 Grade 0 (-40°C to 150°C) qualified
- Meet the vehicle ISO26262 functional safety standard ASIL-B level
- Extended Analog Sensor Offset Compensation (XSOC) supports multiple resistive bridges with optional on-chip PTAT (proportional to absolute temperature) to provide external temperature sensing
- Digital compensation for signal offset, sensitivity, temperature drift, and nonlinearity for improved accuracy
- Digital calibration eliminates the need to adjust sensing elements, reducing assembly costs
- Features highly reliable non-volatile memory to store calibration coefficients and configuration data
- Ratiometric analog output signal and 100µs output update rate in top speed mode
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting for Fail-Safe Operation
- Provides static and ad hoc diagnostic modes
Renesas has combined the RAA2S425x with its companion MCU, analog and power devices to create a “successful product portfolio” for automotive xEV/EV/FCEV pressure-sensing braking, transmission and HVAC systems. Renesas now offers more than 250 “Successful Portfolios” for various applications and end products.
The RAA2S425x is available now; the products are packaged in a 4mm x 4mm QFN-24 package with wettable flanks.