In the era of mobile Internet, users use network services through the corresponding terminal, “individual” has always been the main user of the network. Personal requirements for network quality are “high” and “unified”: network transmission requires low delay and high bandwidth, and network interruption is not allowed during use.
In the era of Internet of things, the quality requirements of information collection, transmission and calculation vary greatly in various fields of application; the environments of system and terminal deployment are also different, especially in different industrial environments; in addition, enterprises need to consider the technical limitations and cost control when building applications.
Therefore, the demand of different industries for connection has gradually begun to implement the “personalized” development, and different connection technologies and demands have been put on line. In this process, Lora and Nb IOT stand out among many connection communication technologies and become the most suitable connection technologies for the Internet of things.
But when these two technologies are put together, they will become the “dead enemies” that people are fond of talking about. Because there is little difference in their functions and abilities, once they are placed in front of users, they will be like the relationship between “fish and bear’s paw”, and they can’t make an effective choice.
Nb-iot: Internet of things connection under independent intellectual property rights
It is not difficult to see on Baidu that the narrow band Internet of things (NB IOT) has become an important branch of the Internet of things. Nb-iot is built in cellular network, which only consumes about 180khz bandwidth. It can be directly deployed in GSM network, umts network or LTE network to reduce deployment cost and achieve smooth upgrade.
Nb-iot is a new technology in the field of IOT, which supports the cellular data connection of low-power devices in Wan, also known as low-power Wan (lpwan). Nb-iot supports efficient connection of devices with long standby time and high requirements for network connection. It is said that the battery life of Nb IOT equipment can be increased by at least 10 years, while providing a very comprehensive indoor cellular data connection coverage.
However, in China, the development of Nb IOT is inseparable from one word – “independent intellectual property rights”. As early as may 2014, Huawei proposed NB M2M; in May 2015, it merged NB OFDMA to form nb-ciot; in July, it further merged nb-lte with nb-ciot to form nb-iot; it is expected that nb-iot standard will appear in 3GPP R13 and freeze in June 2016.
Among them, Huawei has the most patents and standards. For China, it has absolute independent intellectual property rights, that is, absolute security – at least not restricted by other enterprises or countries.
Unlike nb-lte promoted by Ericsson, Nokia and Intel, Huawei pays more attention to the construction of nb-ciot ecosystem. For this reason, mainstream operators, chip manufacturers and the upstream and downstream of the equipment system industry chain, including Qualcomm, Vodafone, Deutsche Telecom, China Mobile, China Unicom and bell, have joined the camp.
Based on the common development of many industries, the advantages of nb-iot are gradually highlighted: low power consumption, low cost, strong connection and wide coverage. It can be said that this series of advantages enable many b-end enterprises to make profits – at least not to make losses in the middle and upper reaches.
However, it is undeniable that although NB IOT has developed for several years, it has not made great progress
1. Low power consumption: although it is known as low power consumption, according to relevant enterprises, most nb-iot modules are usually turned off when they are not used for a long time, instead of entering sleep mode. Nb-iot will only be turned on when they need to be used;
2. Low cost: low cost can only be regarded as relative. It is understood that the main reason for the low cost of nb-iot module is that the state subsidizes it, and only under the subsidy can the lower cost be realized. Once the subsidy is cut off, the price of Nb IOT will rise to a certain extent;
3. Long term operation cost: in order to better control the terminal products, nb-iot adopts the way of SIM card support for the terminal equipment, that is, in the later operation, the terminal users must pay certain communication costs to the operators.
In this development, although NB IOT has developed rapidly, most of the projects belong to national projects, such as electricity meters, natural gas meters and other equipment, and the shipment volume is rising.
Lora: the best choice for private enterprises
Lora is different from nb-iot in that it is an “exotic product” – it is worth noting that Semtech is an “outsider”, but it is not a “US company” as it is said in the Internet. According to Semtech, the Lora chips used in China are developed and supplied by Semtech (International) AG, which is a Swiss company.
However, with the publication of Document No. 52, there is a wind of “Lora coolness” on the Internet. For them, the ISM frequency bands of Lora working frequency include 433, 868, 915 MHz, etc. the new regulation makes the Lora working frequency band not authorized in China, which may announce the end of Lora!
According to the requirements of the Ministry of industry and information technology, the development of Lora seems to be limited to a certain extent, but is it really so?
According to the Announcement No. 52, it has managed the micro power short-range radio transmitting equipment from many aspects, mainly limited in seven aspects, but Lora can meet its requirements
But for Lora, it’s a planned road – “any product or technology needs to be standardized and unified. If the product or technology can’t be standardized, its development will be disordered and disordered, which will bring unnecessary trouble for the future development.” Said Gan Quan, Semtech’s director of marketing strategy.
However, it is obvious that although Lora will not be used as a connection at the g-end, the market of Lora will not wither because of this behavior – “for users, what they are concerned about is whether the device is running normally, whether the price is low, and what way to use, they will not care.” Ganquan told the editor of the Internet of things at OFweek.
Lora is the best way to meet the needs of users. It has the following advantages:
1. Self organizing and controllable: Lora networking mode can carry out different networking modes according to different applications and needs. Private or private networks can be deployed for individuals, enterprises or other organizations. In addition, Lora’s expansion mode is also very simple. Users can enhance or expand the coverage area at any time according to the change of node size;
2. Security: in the physical layer of Lora, Lora CSS technology can demodulate at 20dB below the noise, so it is difficult for ordinary equipment to detect and interfere with Lora signal; in the network layer, it can collect, process and store data locally. The data is completely controlled by the network owner and will not leave the private network. In the aspect of application layer, encryption is carried out according to the requirements of application layer. Application layer security management can cooperate with network layer to realize the overall security of application layer. For Chinese customers using lorawan protocol, lorawan protocol provides strong end-to-end security by encrypting in the network layer and application layer.
3. Low power consumption: according to relevant data, under the same power consumption, Lora has more coverage area than other wireless transmission technologies, realizing the unification of low power consumption and long distance;
4. Low cost: different from nb-iot, Lora is built according to the needs of users, so it does not need to pay the operation fee or other expenses in the later stage.
They complement each other
In the development of the Internet of things industry, the emergence of any new technology is to solve the problems in the current situation, and in the process of solving, there are usually several kinds of technology, and the technology that can better solve the problem will be left, and other technologies will be applied to solve other problems.
The same is true for nb-iot and Lora. Compared with Lora, nb-iot is more inclined to the needs of g-end users – in order to be safe and controllable, absolute independent control is needed; while Lora’s high cost performance meets the needs of ordinary B-END Enterprises – high cost performance.
For this reason, nb-iot and Lora, like the same pair of CP, continue to go on.
Editor in charge: Tzh