Max173202-4 series Li ion battery meter IC is the industry’s first one that can monitor self discharge during operation. Its highest accuracy and lowest quiescent current can greatly extend the battery life.
Beijing, China – November 19, 2020 – Maxim integrated products, Inc (NASDAQ: mxim) announced the launch of max17320 high-precision battery meter and protection circuit, which can effectively extend the operation time of multi battery powered products and monitor the battery self discharge to avoid potential problems. Max17320 is a battery side power meter and protection IC, which supports 2 to 4 Li + batteries (2s-4s) in series. It is a maxim integrated patent model gauge ™ A new device of m5ez algorithm series IC. Compared with the competitive products, the IC can improve the accuracy of state of charge (SOC) reading by 40%, which is suitable for most Li + battery powered products without the need for battery characteristic analysis. The meter also has the lowest quiescent current (IQ) in the industry, which is 80% lower than the nearest competitive products; And has SHA-256 security certification, to ensure that the system is not damaged by counterfeit batteries.
In the application fields of computing, Internet of things (IOT), power tools, consumer, health care and mobile terminals, user safety is the primary consideration for handheld devices powered by two to four Li + batteries. The defective or damaged battery may have internal battery leakage. With the gradual deterioration of this situation, serious accidents such as fire and explosion may occur. It directly endangers the safety of consumers and, of course, damages the brand benefits of manufacturers. Strict factory screening can effectively prevent leaking batteries from flowing from factories to society. But up to now, there is no scheme to detect the self discharge of battery during normal use. Max17320 makes up for this vacancy, and can send an alarm to the system in time, so as to turn off the leaking battery before the occurrence of danger. In addition, this IC has the most advanced battery protection function, which can fine tune the voltage and current thresholds according to different temperature regions. The IC also provides secondary protection to permanently disconnect the battery by assisting the secondary protector or blown fuse in severe fault conditions.
As with all mobile devices, one of the manufacturers’ goals is to develop products with longer battery life. Battery powered devices need more accurate SOC information to accurately estimate the remaining operating time. As a member of the IC with modelgaugem5 algorithm family, max17320 provides the industry’s highest precision SOC, allowing designers to achieve the longest system running time and avoid premature or sudden system shutdown. Max17320 can work in ultra-low power consumption mode and support the system to read SOC information immediately when it wakes up; There is no need to disconnect the battery during transportation or storage. Max17320 has the lowest IQ in the industry, 85% lower than the leading competitive products, and supports longer storage life.
- Reliable protection: it can monitor abnormal voltage, current and temperature conditions to ensure safe charging and discharging of 2-4 Li + battery power supply system. The internal self discharge detection provides early warning for the system and cuts off the batteries with hidden danger. SHA-256 security authentication prevents cloning and provides a unique or dynamic key for each battery.
- Highest accuracy: compared with competitive products, the SOC accuracy of modelgaugem5 algorithm is improved by 40%.
- Minimum IQ: support long storage time and running time of products, and the IQ of working state is 85% lower than that of the nearest competitive products.
- “For many portable Li + devices, consumer safety is the primary factor.” Kevin Anderson, head of practice at omdia, said: “a product with multiple battery protection and protection against battery counterfeiting is an important symbol for designers to prove the strong safety of their brand.”
- “Maxim integrated’s meter IC has the highest security and measurement accuracy in the industry.” Bakul damle, director of Maxim integrated mobile power division, said: “max17320ic can avoid potential hazards by detecting battery leakage, providing additional security protection for the system; In addition, the IC uses maximintegrated’s modelgaugem5 algorithm to provide 2-4 Li + battery powered devices with the highest power metering accuracy in the industry and help improve the user experience. “
Supply and price
- The price of max17320 is US $1.55 (from 1000 tablets, FOB USA), which can be purchased through the official website of Maxim and its franchised dealers.
- Max17320x2evkit ා Evaluation Kit is available at US $89.