Ames semiconductor launched the world’s first environment light, proximity and light source flicker detection module optimized for the “under screen” Application of full screen smart phones.
- The tmd3719 light sense / proximity / light source flicker detection sensor can be placed behind the OLED display, so it can support OEM design of frameless full screen smart phones to maximize the screen share of smart phones.
- These patent pending innovations enable distortion free proximity sensing operation under OLED displays
- Tmd3719 integrates a complete set of light source scintillation sensing system, which contains an on-chip algorithm for light source flicker detection under artificial light source, so as to eliminate the artifacts produced when the camera captures images
China, September 17, 2020 – AMS AG, the world’s leading provider of high-performance sensor solutions, today launched the industry’s first optical sensor, tmd3719, which integrates environmental light sensing, proximity detection and light source flicker detection functions into a single module, and optimizes the placement of optical sensor tmd3719 under the OLED screen of smart phones.
As a leading sensor supplier in the field of optical sensors in the mobile phone industry for more than ten years, Ames semiconductor developed tmd3719 with its technical innovation and expertise in optical sensor design. This is the first device to overcome major technical challenges such as ambient light sensing, proximity sensing and light source flicker detection under OLED screens, which can help achieve breakthrough mobile phone industrial design.
Tmd3719 provides a complete “OLED off screen” (BOLD) optical sensing solution, which enables smartphone manufacturers to move the sensors normally placed in the frame behind the OLED screen, thus meeting the consumers’ pursuit of borderless. In this way, consumers can have an extended screen covering the entire front of the smartphone.
Tmd3719 is the first module suitable for bold applications. OEM can use its integration function to provide key consumer functions. This includes automatic brightness control of display screen according to lighting environment, proximity monitoring function of touch screen closing automatically during call, and light source flicker detection function of eliminating ripple and other artifacts when the camera captures images under artificial light source conditions.
Darrell Benke, strategic project director of the integrated optical sensor business line of Ames semiconductor, said: “with the advanced technology of Ames semiconductor, the environmental light sensing and proximity monitoring functions can be moved from the inside of the traditional frame to the challenging bold screen, where the visible and infrared light transmittance is far less than 5%. Thanks to the innovation of tmd3719 and other products of Ames semiconductor, smartphone manufacturers are able to turn the high screen ratio into a common function option. To meet the needs of smartphone manufacturers and their customers, Ames semiconductor is implementing an expanding multi generation bold roadmap for the next few years. “
Innovations in the operation of integrated optical sensors
Tmd3719 uses the innovative technology of Ames semiconductor, which is applying for patent, to support the environmental light sensing and proximity monitoring under the bold screen. include:
- Synchronous ambient light detection and display screen operation can extract the real ambient light intensity information, and eliminate the display panel radiation energy mixed with ambient light during sensor measurement.
- Three infrared VCSEL (vertical cavity surface emitting laser) emitters for proximity detection can optimize power emission, achieve the best detection distance experience while dispersing radiation, so as to reduce the infrared excitation of OLED. This eliminates visible display distortion.
By integrating environmental light sensing, proximity sensing and light source flicker detection functions into a single device, Ames semiconductor simplifies the system design and reduces the development difficulty of smartphone manufacturers. Compared with the previous generation of optical sensors, Ames semiconductor further improves the integration degree of tmd3719, and realizes and integrates light source scintillation detection algorithm. The on-chip light source flicker detection process eliminates the algorithm overhead of the main application processor, thus reducing the feedback delay of the light source flicker detection results. In this way, a comprehensive detection of the flicker frequency of the light source is realized, which can help to eliminate unnecessary artifacts such as ripple when the smartphone camera captures images.
The tmd3719 optical sensor is packaged in a 6.35 mm x 3.00 mm x 1.00 mm surface mount package. Samples of the sensor are now available and demonstration panels are available on request.